Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Used and Loving It!


So, I've been in the world of Consignment for the last few years. When my oldest child was born, I refused to even think about the concept, other than to donate to Goodwill. I would have never, ever bought her anything there. No, I was one of those insane mothers that would trek her way to the mall every week to buy cute little 6 piece outfits for the little princess. Top, capris, hair bow, sweater, purse, shoes...all in the same pattern so that they could be mixed and matched. I thought it was slightly ridiculous to spend $80 on an outfit for a toddler, but I wasn't the one that set the prices. They were what they were. What could a mom do?

Momma of today wants to go back in time and slap some sense into momma of 1999. Seriously! What was I thinking?!

Once my second child was born...in the midst of my husband being laid off, injured, and moving into a freshly built house...I had no choice. I began with Ebay. I sold everything that wasn't actively being used or eaten. Going....Going...Gone was the cute little Gymboree outfits! SOLD! And in some cases, for more than what I paid for them. Nice.

Later, I discovered some local consignment stores. Michael Jon would drag me in those stinky, unorganized places looking for work jeans. He would point out the kids' sections and the women's section and I would stick my nose in the air and run away. It wasn't until I mistakingly went into a kid's consignment store in KY that I fell in love with it. It really should be referred to as a consignment "boutique". Clean. Smells good. Organized to the inth degree. Only clothes in very good condition. And since the store...ahem....boutique was in the same area as a mall with all those wonderful brand name stores, it was filled with all those wonderful brand name pieces. In my first trip there, I bought enough clothes for all 3 munchkins for the entire Spring/Summer. I spent a whopping $187. Sounds like a lot when I type it out, but when you break that down...it's a little more than $60 per kid for his/her entire wardrobe! Yeeeeehawww! I was a new believer!

Now I actually enjoy it. It's like a treasure hunt! You never know what you're going to find. I've even started doing some shopping for myself from time to time. Just today, I got 6 new shirts, a dress and 2 pairs for shorts for the summer for less than $30. Not too shabby. OK...we'll call it shabby chic.

That's right. I am Rachel and I wear consigned clothing. I just dread the day when Chloe figures out what "consigned" means. That'll be a whole new mother/daughter mine field that will have to be detonated. After all, I am now a tried and true consigner. I can't go back to paying full price. Just can't. Sorry Chloe.