Sunday, March 23, 2008

The End of the Bunny...Correction....ALMOST The End of the Bunny

So, this is edited for a correction...Read all of it and then I'll update down below....

Sigh. It was bound to happen at some point, I know. But it's really struck me a blow. Chloe, at the ripe old age of 8, has busted the bunny. She found the loot hidden away in the closet. Of course, she said nothing to daddy or me. No, instead she tells her cousin, and most trusted confidant, Cade, with the news that she intends to see what the bunny brings and if it's the same stuff that's in the closet, they'll know for sure if there's an Easter Bunny or not! Cade, in turn waits until Easter morning to tell their mom Beth, who then calls Michael Jon, who then sits me down for the let down of the year. Sigh indeed.
So, all the reporting happened Sunday morning as we are getting ready for church. So as I brush and curl Chloe's hair, I ask her if there's anything she'd like to ask me...because I'm cryptic like that. "Uh, nooooo.....I don't think so...." was her reply. So I try again..."You don't have any questions about anything this morning???" And she of course said, "Momma, no." So finally I just had to come right out and ask if she'd found anything besides eggs this week. "Oh, yeah, I...uh....I think I found some bags....uh....well, I was looking for a shoe box to make a craft with and....uh...I saw some Easter stuff...." So I neither confirm or deny. I just tell her that she shouldn't have told Cade that there's no Easter bunny. She says that she didn't say that, just that she was going to wait and see what the bunny brought. So I just tell her that she shouldn't say that to anyone since it upsets people.
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. She's growing up so fast! I remember when she was tiny and would get so upset on those holiday mornings when she would see the stuff sitting out because it wasn't her regular routine. I'll take this as my opportunity to teach her more in depth what the holiday is really about. It's always been part of her understanding, but we can go deeper now. That's a good thing.

Correction and update....

OK. So Chloe came to me earlier this afternoon asking me when she could open the "Easter surprises from the closet". MMMMmmm....well...."what surprises??" I asked. Apparently, in her rushed sneakiness and curiosity, she only saw a few things in the bags, and none of them were actually "bunny loot". So she walked away from the little bunny test thinking that she actually proved the existence of the long-eared one. It seems that my laziness has payed off well in that I had left her "big" basket thing (a new Webkinz and Webkinz Tote) in the back of the mom-mobile. Since the only other stuff she saw was candy that I also used in various school/church parties, she is assuming with wide-eyed magic that the Bunny is the real deal. Whew. I just tucked her into bed and told her that from now on she shouldn't sneak, just ask momma or daddy when she has a question about that kind of thing. I asked her what her little experiment had made her think and she said that she still believes, but that she still wonders how one Bunny or person can make it all across the world in one night. I told her that as long as she wants to believe, then she should. I'm sure that left the door open for doubt in her mind. But I think that was the healthiest way to handle it. I don't want to outright lie to her about it either. Yikes! This parenting thing is tricky.

So, on to happier things....pictures of the kiddies all dressed up in their Easter best!